Credit Card Debt in Another Country

In Anonymous Q & A, Manitoba, Money Management, Portage by Questions1 Comment

I had cc debt in another county that I had to leave about 5yrs ago because I was layed off. But recently I got a call from a collection agency here in canda asking me to pay it back. I have no income here . would the collections agency be able to take me to court and put a lein on my house


  1. Jillian Taylor-Mancusi
    Jillian Taylor-Mancusi

    In order for the collection agency to take action against your assets they would require a judgment issued from a Canadian court. How difficult this is to obtain will depend upon which jurisdiction the debt originated in. There are precedents where creditors have obtained judgements in the USA and the court has allowed those judgements to continue in Canada. This can be considerably more difficult if the debt arose in another foreign jurisdiction. You may want to seek legal advice as to whether the provincial statute of limitations will affect the ability of the creditor to proceed with this action. Your lawyer can advise you as to the applicable rules in your province.

Leave a Comment