Tax liability and Consumer Proposal

In Anonymous Q & A, Consumer Proposals, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia by Questions1 Comment

I am going to apply for a Consumer Proposal. For Income Taxation Years, 2013 and 2014, I have a Disability Credit that lowers Income Tax owed to be $400.00 and this is not paid by me directly in one payment. Instead, the Government takes my HST refunds and I usually still receive one HST as a credit, after debt is paid. For Taxation Year 2015, I will have to pay Income Tax based on income of approx. $27,500 and I can’t afford to pay $300 per month. Can I apply for another Consumer Proposal in Jan. 2016 re: this problem?


  1. Jillian Taylor-Mancusi
    Jillian Taylor-Mancusi

    If the tax liability is your only debt you would be wiser to have your source deductions increased to eliminate the need to pay lump sums at the end of a tax year. From what you have indicated a consumer proposal would cost you more than what you owe. You might wish to contact a trustee in your area for details with regard to consumer proposals.

Leave a Comment